If you need to use official South African documents in another country, it is necessary that they are legalised for use abroad. This can be for any number of reasons, such as legalising university degrees for a job in another country.

What is legalisation?

Legalising documents means that official (public) documents executed within South Africa for use outside the country are affixed, sealed and signed either with an Apostille Certificate (where countries are party to The Hague Convention) or with a Certificate of Authentication (where countries are not party to The Hague Convention).

The process involved in signing/executing documents:

If a country is part of The Hague Convention, the following process applies:

There are certain documents that the High Court will not Apostille/Authenticate and must be sent to the Department of International Relations and Co-operation (DIRCO), which is based in Pretoria. For example:

If a country is not part of The Hague Convention, the following process applies:


This article is a general information sheet and should not be used or relied on as legal or other professional advice. No liability can be accepted for any errors or omissions nor for any loss or damage arising from reliance upon any information herein. Always contact your legal adviser for specific and detailed advice. Errors and omissions excepted (E&OE)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We use cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to browse, you agree to our use of cookies